Bloodborne is a Souls successor with serious bite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodborne is a Souls successor with serious bite

Taking control of Bloodborne for the first time is a familiar experience, a comfort that quickly became my undoing. The sheer snappiness to the character movement, the targeting system, the way attacks buffer; everything comes together in precisely the same, satisfying concoction as Demon's Souls, Sony's exclusive from 2009. And then there's the strong flair for the gothic, with gloomy streets and the grotesque, gargoyle-etched décor paving a dark road ahead.
    Horror oozes from Bloodborne's visual make-up, and I'm glad it's taken this direction. In line with the celebrated risk-reward design of its lineage, the tone of intimidation also forms a crucial part of its winning formula - an area which I felt was understated in Dark Souls 2. Reaching a high gothic spire early on, a full view of the town proves almost monochrome in its black pitches and moon-lit highlights, with everything within sight said to be traversable. And for anything out of sight - all those shadowy corners - there's every chance some wretch will come out flailing.
    The city strikes a similar, bleak chord to From Software's earlier games, but it still somehow feels fresh. Cobble-stone streets are beautifully detailed, framed by gnarled housing supports and smog rising from grates; it's all gorgeously lit, and a true vision of how a Souls game should look on new hardware. All that's missing are the souls themselves - and exactly how currency and experience is managed in Bloodborne is still not 100 per cent clear.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X