Premier Manager 2, the last of the old school management games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premier Manager 2, the last of the old school management games

Oh how I miss the days of five-hour seasons and having the power to select and arrange advertising boards. Even when they took themselves way too seriously, like with The Manager and the Premier Manager series, football management games used to have a wonderful innocence to them that the latest Sports Interactive fare lacks. There was a playfulness and a willingness to part from realism because it was cool, and because games don't need to be lifelike.
    Premier Manager 2 is, to my mind, the last of the old kind of virtual football management; it's the final hurrah for a less-is-more approach that eroded on one side with the rise of Championship Manager's stats-driven simulation and on the other with the flash and misplaced grandeur (and terrible graphical match engines) of later Premier Manager and Ultimate Soccer Manager games.
    I remember hours spent racing through matches with the speed cranked up to "ultra", the ball hopping back and forth along a narrow strip that looks more akin to a progress bar than a football pitch. I could imagine a world of possibility from that bar and the barebones commentary that accompanies it - reporting tackles, passes, interceptions and shots with utmost efficiency of language.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X