Bayonetta 2 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayonetta 2 review

Bayonetta 2's main theme is as good as it gets, and as good a place as any to start when it comes to talking about Platinum Games' Wii U exclusive. A sugar-rush of melodramatic keyboard stabs and a high-impact, snap-happy backbeat, it's chaos held together by irresistibly sassy vocals and a killer of a chorus. "You won't know what hit you when I spin around with you in my dust - Bang bang! Down down!" It gets me every time.
    Unruly energy held together with some serious style; that's what the original Bayonetta was all about, and it's no different for a sequel in which much is left intact. Bayonetta herself has a new haircut - yes, it matters, and yes I'm a fan of the shorter, ordered bob that sees the balance of Mari Shimazaki's character design move a small step away from S&M madam and towards something more bookish - and an expanded move-set that's more gymnastic and more elastic than in her previous game. For all its bombast, Bayonetta 2 takes only baby steps, and is cast firmly in the mould of the 2009 original. It's something which works both for better and for worse.
    After The Wonderful 101, this is the second of Nintendo's collaborations with Platinum Games, though it's unlike any other Nintendo exclusive. From the second Bayonetta 2 was announced for the Wii U, there's always been that slight tension between the spiky, violent and often absurd action of Platinum Games' most cherished child and those softer edges perceived of Nintendo's own. It turns out Bayonetta fits amongst Nintendo's line-up well enough, though, and she's got more in common with her new counterparts than you might have first thought. There's something of the Kyoto philosophy in the exquisite engineering whirring away beneath the encounters; something of Tokyo EAD in the imagination poured into where each new set-piece takes you.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X