Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it take to run GTA 5 at 1080p60?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it take to run GTA 5 at 1080p60?

It's finally here. 18 months on from Grand Theft Auto 5's last-gen release, the chance to tour Los Santos at 60fps is now a reality on PC. The PS4 and Xbox One versions may already have the 1920x1080 checkbox ticked, but this PC effort adds a bevy of options to take things further, bringing support for resolutions up to 4K, better effects and broader draw distances. But does it actually run well?
    And indeed, what does it take to run GTA 5 at 1920x1080 and 60 frames per second, with a mind to match console graphics settings? To answer this, we've tried it with a selection of graphics cards from each price range. At the lowest end of the spectrum we have Nvidia's circa £100 GTX 750 Ti, joined by AMD's mid-range R9 280 and 290 cards (at £140 and £220 respectively), while at the top we have a GTX 780 Ti at £320. Each is placed into our quad-core Intel i7 4970K machine in turn, itself backed by 16GB RAM and a speedy SSD to house the game's 64GB install.
    But four cards slotted into a top-end rig isn't entirely a fair test. Given that this i7 processor alone costs around £270 (mismatching the budget associated with a GTX 750 Ti), as a counterpoint we also have a Core i3 4130 machine - a dual 3.4GHz core processor that costs just £90, also backed by 16GB of memory. In total this gives us four cards, two PCs, and a total of eight combinations to test. But which is the most cost-effective path towards that 1080p60 target?
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X