Xbox One Exec Phil Harrison Officially Leaves Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox One Exec Phil Harrison Officially Leaves Microsoft

Confirming earlier reports, Microsoft announced on Friday that Xbox executive Phil Harrison has officially left the company. The news was confirmed today to GamesIndustry International, whose sources originally broke the news about Harrison's impending exit from Microsoft back in March.
    "Following a successful tenure as corporate vice president in Xbox in Europe, Phil Harrison has chosen to pursue business interests outside of Microsoft," a statement from Head of Xbox Phil Spencer reads.
    "Phil has been a distinguished leader for our European Xbox team--overseeing production at our award-winning European studios and making a substantial contribution to the Xbox business globally," he added. "I want to thank Phil for his creativity and leadership over the past three years. Phil is a great friend of mine and I wish him the very best with his future endeavors."
    For his part, Harrison told GamesIndustry International that he enjoyed his three years at Microsoft and wished the company continued success in the future under Spencer's leadership.
    GamesIndustry International will publish an exit interview with Harrison this coming Monday, April 20, where Harrison is expected to speak about his time at Microsoft and what he plans to do next.
    Harrison, a former longtime Sony PlayStation executive, joined Microsoft in 2012. In his role as corporate vice president at Microsoft, he was responsible for leading Microsoft Studios Europe, overseeing UK-based developers such as Lionhead Studios, Soho Productions, and Rare Ltd.
    According to GamesIndustry International, Harrison "grew frustrated" when former Xbox boss Don Mattrick left the company in 2013 to join Zynga. Harrison, according to sources, was also frustrated when Spencer's promotion to Head of Xbox did not lead to a promotion for him.
    Finally, Harrison reportedly issued an ultimatum to Microsoft, saying he would leave the company if he was not offered a new, better position.

More...
Working...
X