Xbox One Boss Talks PS4 Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox One Boss Talks PS4 Competition

With more than 25 million PlayStation 4 consoles shipped worldwide, Sony's machine is the king of consoles right now. Now, top Xbox One boss, Phil Spencer, has responded to the PS4's strong debut. In an interview with Eurogamer, he was asked what Microsoft needs to do to catch up.
    He responded by praising Sony for their deserved success. But he also pointed out that the Xbox One is doing just fine by a number of metrics. .
    "Honestly, I think it's about growing Xbox," he said. "Sony's had great success with PlayStation, they've earned that success over multiple decades of building a great product. Kudos to them for their market position. All I can do is focus on Xbox, and I love that.
    "I love our fans and the partners we have," he added. "We're growing Xbox year on year, we're bigger than we were this time in the Xbox 360 generation, so generation over generation we're in a better spot, year-over-year we're in a better spot. We're seeing more people online, more games being sold, more consoles being sold. So generally I feel good about the trajectory we're on."
    The interview was conducted at Gamescom in Germany, and Spencer went on to say that Microsoft needs to improve Xbox One sales in central Europe and other regions in the area where the console hasn't done so well. "It's a long-term endeavor, and it's something we're committing to," he explained.
    Asked if he thought the Xbox One could catch up to the PS4 in one or two years, Spencer said he's more interested in looking at the entire Xbox gaming ecosystem than just one platform alone.
    "I honestly don't goal the team on how many units Sony sells," he said. "I think about what we're going to do, and how many Xbox customers we have across 360, Xbox One, and Windows--thinking about the combined community of people on Xbox and playing those games, and that number's never been bigger."
    He also stressed that Xbox One owners can rest easy knowing that Microsoft will be invested in the gaming space for a long time to come.
    "There are ways to sell consoles by losing more money on hardware and building an unnatural business construct that I'd never want to do," he said. "At the end, when people make a commitment to Xbox and the consoles they buy, the games they buy, they want to know that Microsoft and Xbox is in it for the long run.
    "To sacrifice the long term for any short term gain doesn't make any sense. I really focussed on our first-party investment, and you see it showing up in 2015 and 2016. Next year's lineup is pretty incredible, and we haven't even talked about all the games that are coming next year. Investments in first-party, there's more risk involved, and people can say it's more challenging building first party investments, and you could say it's easier doing third-party deals, but they're critical to our business, and we're in this for the long run."
    Eurogamer's interview with Spencer covers many other interesting topics. Read the full interview here.

More...
Working...
X