No announcement yet.

The Sims' social simulation is even more affecting now than it was 15 years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sims' social simulation is even more affecting now than it was 15 years ago

I can still remember the first family I created. On the fifth of February 2000, the day after The Sims launched, Mr and Mrs Bead moved into the single-bedroom bungalow located at 2 Sim Lane. Mr Bead was a slim, gentlemanly figure with neatly-cut black hair and pencil moustache, while Mrs Bead looked exactly like the Sim displayed in the bottom-middle square on the cover of the game box, turquoise dress and all.
    The Beads were never rich, but they ground out a quaint and pleasant living for themselves, and they loved each other deeply. Mr Bead had a steady career in the police, while Mrs Bead looked after the house and sold artwork in her spare time. At some point they might have had a baby, but I can't quite recall. It was 15 years ago, so a few of the details are a little muddled.
    I'd like to say that the Beads lived happily ever after, but that would be a lie. One day while Mrs Bead was cooking some lunch, the cheap stove in the Bead kitchen burst into flames. Mrs Bead rushed to the phone and rang the fire brigade. But the fire spread quickly, and so she bravely tried to extinguish it by herself. Instead, the fire extinguished Mrs Bead, and when Mr Bead came home that evening, it was to a pile of his wife's ashes. There might have been a last-minute redemption in the form of a cheeky quickload. But either way, I moved on from the Beads not long after that. It felt like the right time.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X