Why I play video games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I play video games

I chose to be a doctor for lots of reasons. Some of them good! None of them to do with improved marriage prospects (I am only half Asian). None of them very sexy either, mind. If medical school was X-Factor, I wouldn't be picked to tell my life story in the crowd. I don't have a dead nan who always believed in my ability to take blood pressure or anything.
    But I've been thinking about it, and I reckon a good part of why I chose medicine was because I played video games. And I don't mean in the I-Wanna-Be-Like-Holby-City-When-I'm-Older sense; I can tell the difference between playing Dr Mario and actual medical practice (you can see the pixels on the Dr Mario pills). I don't even mean it in some tenuous proof-of-hand-eye-co-ordination way, to be shoehorned into a Personal Statement.
    I mean it in an actual, proper way that I believe has affected me. I'd say profoundly, but you'd laugh, so I'll save it for the end by which point you might agree. For now I'll just state the obvious, that video games - as I've known them growing up - are pretty dependent on agency. On the fun of producing actions that cause effects.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X