Shadow Complex still thrills in its new remaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow Complex still thrills in its new remaster

Just before almost everything was a roguelike, almost everything was a Metroidvania, and Shadow Complex Remastered is here to return you, rather perfectly, to that exciting era.
    It seems terribly wrong to think of August 2009 as being a long time ago, but it is a long time ago for games, and to prove it, Chair's elegant action game offers a cross-section of almost everything that seemed so new and exciting back then. Achievement pop-ups! Nolan North everyman heroes! Breadcrumb trails leading you across pretzeled maps. I was a bit nervous about returning to Shadow Complex - a game I remember really enjoying - after tastes have changed so much. I needn't have worried. Shadow Complex is filled with elements that allow players to date it fairly precisely, but it holds up well all the same. Shadow Complex has class.
    You can feel this most keenly in the pacing. Shadow Complex moves along at a crazy clip, but it brings you with it all the way. Here's a list of things that happen in the first three minutes: You save the vice president of the USA. You shoot down a chopper. You're betrayed and killed. It turns out you didn't save the vice president of the USA after all. You're an everyman hero going for a ramble in the woods with a girl you've just met. The girl you've just met is captured by a ghastly left-wing militia and taken to their underground base. You learn to crouch!
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X