Rez Infinite is PlayStation VR's best game yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rez Infinite is PlayStation VR's best game yet

Of course this is how it was always meant to be played. Rez always felt ahead of its time - when it was released back in 2001, there wasn't anything really like Tetsuya Mizuguchi and United Game Artists' rhythmic Dreamcast game, a wilfully artful, arrestingly stylish shooter that matched club cool with slick music action. It was a delicious taste of a future that's finally arrived.
    "15 years ago when we shipped the first Rez, the basic concept, the vision was that Rez would be in VR," says Mizuguchi, fresh from a dazzling appearance on-stage at this year's PlayStation Experience, where he revealed Rez Infinite, a VR-enabled remake of the original from his newly formed studio Enhance Games. "The vision that we had was limited to what was available. Now fast forward to 15 years, it's like technology's catching up with what I had in mind, always, with Rez."
    I still return to the original Rez at least once a year, and its magic hasn't dimmed in the slightest. Rez Infinite is something else, though. Strapping on the PlayStation VR headset and playing this newly specced version, I'm reminded of seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey on 70mm for the first time, having previously only seen it on DVD; there's a new clarity, and a new sense of purpose. Rez really does feel like it was always intended for virtual reality. And, conversely, this new wave of virtual reality feels like it's been waiting for something like Rez.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X