Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it take to run Just Cause 3 at 1080p60?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it take to run Just Cause 3 at 1080p60?

One of the most eagerly awaited titles of the holiday period, Avalanche Studios' Just Cause 3 delivers almost everything you might have been hoping for - a lush, beautiful open world packed with adventure, wonderfully insane physics and colossal, immensely enjoyable explosions. There's just one problem: performance. The consoles fall some way short of delivering a consistent 30fps, and for many, that does diminish the fun factor - especially on Xbox One. Suffice to say that if you're looking for a truly transformative experience, PC is the way to go. 1080p60 gameplay is attainable, with equivalent levels of performance also possible at 1440p and higher. Although frame-rates are obviously lower, Just Cause 3 is even perfectly playable at 4K, completely maxed and using just one GPU.
    But unfortunately, to get the best results, our tests reveal that Avalanche's game isn't exactly suited to the plurality of PC hardware. To consistently hit the best levels of performance, an Intel CPU is required, paired with an Nvidia graphics card. On the face of it, this may seem like the best combination of parts to optimise for - after all, Intel and Nvidia are each reckoned to possess around 80 per cent of market share in the CPU and discrete graphics market respectively. However, there are many users out there with AMD CPUs or GPUs, and our testing here shows a less than ideal picture.
    First up, let's talk about our testing techniques for this title. We used four platforms in total for our analysis - at the budget end of the scale, our value PC based on a Core i3 4130 with 8GB of DDR3 is utilised. Moving up to mid-range parts, we tested the GTX 960 and the R9 380 with both a Core i5 4690K and an FX-8350 paired with the same memory. And finally, moving to the high-end cards, we matched these with our freshly minted Core i7 6700K system, running 16GB of 2666MHz DDR4. Put simply, the idea here is to match processors to graphics cards in order to better reflect real-life set-ups.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X