Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 has some unexpected inspirations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 has some unexpected inspirations

Of all the games I expected to hear being referenced as an inspiration behind Garden Warfare 2, it wouldn't have been Destiny. And yet, as we sat down to play PopCap's latest, I must have heard the developer describe their new direction via comparisons with Bungie's gigantic shared-world shooter, perhaps three or four times.
    Jumping into the multiplayer modes themselves is going to seem very familiar - there's new maps, classes and game modes to play, but really, it feels like more of what we've already seen from the game's predecessor. That's no bad thing and I can't talk about that too much until a later embargo lifts, but the big change and the comparisons to Destiny are found in the game's new hub world, Backyard Battleground.
    This is designed to be the place where you hang out between matches, likely with friends that you've invited to your world. There's an awful lot to keep players busy here, but the centrepiece appears to be a battle taking place in the middle of the map, where AI-controlled plants and zombies are locked in an eternal struggle for control of a flag post. You can claim it for yourself, triggering a wave defence mode that just seems to keep on going - it was never made clear if this is something that you can actually 'win'.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X