Darkest Dungeon review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkest Dungeon review

I was feeling pretty good during my first few hours of Darkest Dungeon - until I met The Collector, anyway. Not good good, of course. More specifically, you could say I was feeling terrible. But if you're only feeling terrible in Darkest Dungeon, you're actually feeling pretty good: one guy in my adventuring party had rabies, another had become paranoid, a third was edging towards something that would turn out to be masochism of some stripe. Still, we'd been at it for four or five rooms, so what do you expect? Only rabies? Only a little masochism? What's the problem?
    I didn't expect The Collector: a tall fellow in a trenchcoat, with some kind of cage around his head. The head, by the way, was a flaking skull, and under the trenchcoat? More skulls. Still, this was okay, until I saw his HP: 70/70. Even that was still pretty okay, until he started summoning floating spine-type things, with heads that matched the heads of my own team. Oh: The Collector. Got it. Also: got killed. All of us. A mega-wipe.
    And here's the thing: The Collector is not a boss. There's a decent list of bosses in Darkest Dungeon, and The Collector is not on it. This is presumably because The Collector does not have what it takes to be a boss. He doesn't make the cut. The Collector, with his head that is a skull, with his body that is also skulls, is just too reasonable.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X