Fabulous Beasts is Jenga for the gods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabulous Beasts is Jenga for the gods

The octopus is my favourite. Angular yet organic, stylised and yet immediately recognisable, with those stern, strangely ancient eyes that octopuses - octopode? - tend to have. She is warm to touch, with tacky paint and a gentle grain beneath it. You would think this was wood, if it were not for the lack of heft. The octopus is made of plastic, and fresh - relatively fresh - out of a 3D printer.
    I'd never seen something emerge from a 3D printer before. It turns out that they come out with these artefacts all over them, delicate little twills and imperfections that need to removed with gentle knifework. They also come out with supporting struts and sprues that the computer has added automatically so that the whole thing doesn't crumple during the many hours of construction, of one layer being laid upon the last.
    And there are limits to what you can actually print in the first place. What's the least printable animal? I ask. Wrong crowd. Least printable is not on the radar, it turns out. What's the most collectable? someone else wonders. What's the most stackable? These are the vital questions. Startups are about the mosts, not the leasts. Very 10X. Discussion ensues.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X