Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Battleborn any fun if you don't know what you're doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Battleborn any fun if you don't know what you're doing?

I love Borderlands and I like the idea of MOBAs. The reality of MOBAs, however, generally scares me half to death. Now listen: if I'm not describing someone who sounds a bit like you, stop reading now because the following will be a waste of your time. (Well, even more a waste of your time than usual.) If this does sound a bit like you, however, stick around for a minute or two. I'm about to answer a question that I woke up thinking about this morning: Is Battleborn any fun if you don't know what you're doing?
    Background. Battleborn is the new first-person MOBA-like thing from Gearbox, who made Borderlands (and some other stuff that we shall not speak of). Borderlands is a handy touchstone, in fact, because Battleborn has the same colourful brashness, the same taste for brutal sci-fi comedy, and the same focus on classes who start off nutty and overpowered and only grow more nutty and overpowered as they go. Because it's a MOBA-like thing, though, I haven't been following it very closely. Then the free open beta popped up (it runs until the 18th), and it reminded me that A) I like Borderlands and B) I like things that are free. Also, as I didn't know what I was doing, the pressure was off. In I went.
    First discovery: Alongside standard competitive MOBA stuff like Incursion, in which you lead minions through your enemies' defences, taking out their turrets as you go, Battleborn has a story mode. Well, it's largely just a bunch of raid-like missions strung together with pleasantly incomprehensible narrative and boss fights in between, but no matter: I set it to private (nobody should ever have to suffer alongside me when I learn the ropes) and leapt in.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X