Ratchet & Clank review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratchet & Clank review

Insomniac Games has made a lot of Ratchet & Clank games. From Going Commando to Into the Nexus, the Burbank studio has spent years reiterating its formula, perfecting the art of adventure. In fact, this game (based on the movie, based on the game) marks Insomniac's eleventh Ratchet & Clank game. Eleventh! What a lovely surprise to discover that fatigue hasn't set in. This is a game from a team that's clearly had fun whilst making it.
    That sense of fun is pretty infectious too. Everything about Ratchet & Clank, from the outrageous weapon designs to the goofy dialogue, is intended to make you smile, and more often than not it works. It might be a movie tie-in heavily reliant on player nostalgia, but it's hard to hold on to any cynicism. With each childish joke or fourth-wall-breaking nod aimed at its reboot status, I felt my cold heart warming towards this series that I thought I'd grown out of.
    You'll likely know the story by now. Ratchet meets Clank. They become friends. Ratchet then wears Clank like a backpack and the two of them go about saving the galaxy. Along the way, the pair collect a variety of progressively more over-the-top weapons and gadgets, perhaps visiting different planets in the process (one of which will definitely be an ice planet). If you've played the original you'll recognise many of the locations and the general direction of the story arc, although this time around it's being narrated by the somewhat unreliable Captain Qwark.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X