Echo is a mind-boggling sci-fi game which pits you against yourself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echo is a mind-boggling sci-fi game which pits you against yourself

Up until a short while ago, I had no idea about Echo, which is something of a mystery in itself; as a fan of slow-burning, atmospheric and idea filled sci-fi, it's exactly what I'm after in a game, and as I know I'm not alone in that I hope more people don't pass it by. It looks like it could be something fairly special.
    The work of Ultra Ultra, a small Danish team comprised of eight former IO Interactive employees, it's a third-person action game in which you explore an eerie palace as you try and revive someone you've recently lost. There's a twist, though - as you're working your way around the palace, it's observing your every move, and once it's learned enough it'll briefly shut down and populate itself with Echoes, copies of yourself for you to go up against.
    Confusing? Just a little, so I had Ultra Ultra's Martin Emborg explain it a little to me. "They mimic the way you behave," he says, "so you're up against your own play style. If you diverge from that play style, then the Echoes will reboot for a new version of you - and then when that happens, the lights go out." When those lights go out you're free to do as you wish, briefly away from the prying eyes of the palace in a gameplay loop that I admit I haven't fully got my head around yet, but one I'm very much looking forward to discovering myself.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X