The two-player swing and the Shaman of Play's legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The two-player swing and the Shaman of Play's legacy

In Hove, there is a playground by a lagoon with an odd-looking swing. Next to the sandpit, across the way from the pirate ship but still within throwing distance of the spinning rope cage (which, by the way, reminds me of the cage Fallout's super mutants keep corpses in) is a swing designed for two.
    Most weekends, my wife and I drive down to the playground to entertain and - I'll hold my hands up here - tire out our 20 month-old daughter so she goes to sleep at a reasonable time on an evening. What I love about the swing is we get to swing together, rather than me push her, and we're face to face as we do it. She's not a huge fan, I think because she prefers to do pretty much everything on her own without daddy's help, thank you very much. But when she loves it, she really loves it. And I love it when she loves it.
    I don't tend to think about things particularly deeply, so I had declared this odd two-player swing awesome and that was that. It turns out, there's a very good reason why this kind of swing is so awesome - and it took a chat with a designer who is fighting for his life to understand why.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X