DC's Batgirl Movie Is Still Happening With Joss Whedon, Sources Say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC's Batgirl Movie Is Still Happening With Joss Whedon, Sources Say

When Zack Snyder left the production of DC's Justice League earlier this year, he was replaced by Avengers director Joss Whedon. Soon after it was announced that Whedon would also helm a Batgirl movie for the studio. However, a new rumor emerged earlier this week that DC's parent company Warner was reconsidering the project, following the commercial disappointment of Justice League.
    Now sources for Den of Geek, who are "close to both Whedon and the project", have confirmed that the movie is still moving ahead. The site states, "Whedon is currently writing the script for Batgirl and will also serve as both director and producer." The report also notes that no one has been cast in the lead role so far.
    In an interview earlier this year, Whedon stated that he wasn't thinking about casting for now. "I feel like I'm creating this character, I'm going to dialogue with her, and then we'll see who joins that later on," he said. "I doubt it will be a name. This is somewhere where you go and find Batgirl and then you cast her. I'm not against movie stars, they're great, but you need somebody who's going to be just right. And a situation like this, the name carries a lot of weight so it's not as critical."
    The Batgirl movie is just one of several DC movies in development at the studio. There are only two movies with set release dates--next year's Aquaman, and Wonder Woman 2 in 2019. Beyond that, Shazam and Suicide Squad 2 are expected to start shooting next year, with Matt Reeves' Batman film and two different Joker movies also in the pipeline.
    However, all of these films were announced before Justice League opened with the lowest first weekend gross of any of the movies in DC's cinematic universes so far. It took $96 million in its first three days, well below Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice's $166 million opening haul last year. It has been reported that Warner could lose millions as a result, and it remains to be seen if this affects any of the DC movies in development.

More...
Working...
X