New Ready Player One Trailer Features Dinosaurs, Robots, And '80s Pop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ready Player One Trailer Features Dinosaurs, Robots, And '80s Pop

Steven Spielberg's long-awaited adaptation of the virtual reality bestseller Ready Player One finally arrives later this month, and a new trailer has been released. This gives us our best look yet at the blockbuster, which stars Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke, Simon Pegg, and Ben Mendelsohn.
    Like the series of classic movie-inspired posters that were released last week, the new trailer taps into the vein of nostalgia that has driven much of the marketing so far. There's references to Jurassic Park, King Kong, and Back to the Future--not to mention the music of '80s pop superstars A-Ha. Check it out above.
    Ernest Cline's novel was published in 2012, to huge acclaim. It is set in a dystopian future and focuses upon a teenager who enters a virtual reality world in an attempt to find three "Easter eggs" left by its eccentric creator.
    In an interview Collider, Spielberg admitted that while the film maintains the novel's nostalgia for the 1980s, there is be one major omission. "I've cut most of my movies out," he said. "Except for [Back to the Future's] DeLorean and a couple of other things that I had something to do with, I cut a lot of my own references out.
    "I was very happy to see there was enough without me that made the '80s a great time to grow up. I think one of the reasons I decided to make the movie was that it brought me back to the '80s and lets me do anything I want, except for with my own movies."
    Ready Player One premiered at the SXSW festival last weekend, and a host of Twitter reactions are now online. On the whole they are very positive, with many critics stating that the movie taps into the same mix of spectacle and emotion that made Spielberg's movies so popular in the '70s and '80s. It hits theaters on March 29.

More...
Working...
X