Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak Isn't Using Facebook Anymore Due To Concerns About Dat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak Isn't Using Facebook Anymore Due To Concerns About Dat

It's been a rough few weeks for Facebook. The social media giant has been caught up in a wave of scandals regarding its data collection practices, most notably those that allowed political consultant firm Cambridge Analytica to inappropriately access millions of users' information. In response, a significant public backlash has risen, with many people deleting their Facebook accounts and leaving the service. Recently, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak announced that he is joining the opposition and will not use the service any longer.
    Wozniak explained to USA Today that he has grown uncomfortable with Facebook's business model and practices. In his words, Facebook is essentially making money on the identities and info of its users without the users seeing any of the proceeds.

"Users provide every detail of their life to Facebook and... Facebook makes a lot of advertising money off this," he said. "The profits are all based on the user's info, but the users get none of the profits back."
    Wozniak also stated that Apple's practices are more palatable, and that the company "makes its money off of good products, not off of you." When he announced his intent to not use Facebook anymore, he wrote, "I am in the process of leaving Facebook. It's brought me more negatives than positives. Apple has more secure ways to share things about yourself. I can still deal with old school email and text messages."
    This isn't the first time that an Apple-affiliated figure has spoken up against Facebook. CEO Tim Cook himself critiqued the social media giant recently, remarking that "I wouldn't be in the situation... We don't subscribe to the view that you have to let everybody in that wants to, or if you don't, you don't believe in free speech."
    Facebook's CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, is scheduled to testify to Congress about privacy issues tomorrow, April 10. You can read more about his testimony and what to expect on GameSpot sister site CNET.

More...
Working...
X