Deadpool 2 Forced To Cut A Disney Joke; Ryan Reynolds Explains Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadpool 2 Forced To Cut A Disney Joke; Ryan Reynolds Explains Why

Deadpool is known for two things: killing people and saying whatever is on his mind--literally anything. After all, they don't call him the merc with a mouth for nothing. Still, it sounds like a line has been drawn in the sand as to what constitutes going too far for Deadpool, at least on the big screen.
    As Deadpool 2 gets ready to steamroll into theaters with a string of four-letter words and the streets painted in the blood of the vigilante's enemies, it turns out not every joke made the movie's final cut. Ryan Reynolds, who once again stars as the titular hero, has revealed one particular topic that is no laughing matter.
    "This is a sore spot for me because there's a joke in the movie that is not in the movie now because--I'm probably not even allowed to say this--Fox made me take it out," he tells Entertainment Weekly. "It had more to do with Disney, and they made me take it out. As I look back at it, I think maybe that was a wise decision."
    Given that Disney is currently acquiring 20th Century Fox, the studio that makes the X-Men movie franchise that includes Deadpool 2, this isn't exactly surprising. After all, the trailers for the new Deadpool film already include light digs at the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so whatever ended up on the cutting room floor was probably pretty extreme. There are just lines you don't cross when it comes to Mickey Mouse and his insanely large kingdom.
    As for what the merger of the two companies would mean for the Deadpool franchise--and other R-rated Marvel Comics movies--Disney CEO Bob Iger previously said there was room in the company for that type of fare. While Reynolds will be the first to admit he doesn't "know a thing about it," he has hope for the future of his character and its tone.
    "This is completely conjecture on my part, but I wouldn't imagine that Disney bought Fox to dismantle it or something like that," he says. "I think that Disney bought Fox so it could have that in its arsenal."
    Deadpool 2 is in theaters on May 18.

More...
Working...
X