X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blue Screen of Death

The Blue screen of death…

Hi guys

My windows XP won’t run, any time I boot up the pc, I get the ‘Blue screen of death’
    With the error message ‘UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT VOLUME’

Additional info …
    Tec info ***Stop: 0x000000ED (0x81FDC900, 0XC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I get the impression it’s the hard drive, as I can’t get past the BIOS, if I try and start in ‘Safe mode’ or ‘Last known good configuration’ it still just loads ‘The blue screen of Death’

HELP!!!!!

Bertie

SYMPTOMS
    When you first restart your computer during the upgrade to Windows XP or when you start Windows XP, you may receive the following error message, where aaaaaaaa, bbbbbbbb, cccccccc, and dddddddd are hexadecimal numbers that may vary:

STOP 0x000000ED (0xaaaaaaaa,0xbbbbbbbb,0xcccccccc,0xdddddddd) UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

NOTE: If you receive this error message when you restart the computer for the first time during an upgrade to Windows XP, your original operating system still works correctly. In some cases, a message appears on the BIOS report screen that states that the wrong cable is in use, but you may not see this message on computers that have a fast startup time.
    CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if either of the following conditions is true:
    Your computer uses an Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller, and the following conditions are true:
    You use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
    The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.
    The file system is damaged and cannot be mounted.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, use the appropriate method.
    UDMA Controller
    If your computer uses a UDMA hard disk controller, use the following procedures:
    Replace the 40-wire cable with an 80-wire UDMA cable.
    In the BIOS settings for your computer, load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options such as USB Support.
    Damaged File System
    If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, then the file system is damaged.

If this is the case, restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

To do this, use the following steps:
    Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.
    When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
    If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
    Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
    At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
    At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.For additional information about how to use the Recovery Console in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    314058 Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

If this procedure does not work, repeat it and use the fixboot command in step 5 instead of the chkdsk /r command.
    STATUS
    This behavior is by design.
    MORE INFORMATION
    The purpose of this behavior is to prevent potential data loss due to the use of an incorrect IDE cable for the faster UDMA modes or due to continued access to a drive on which the file system is damaged.

Note that a variety of issues can cause file system damage, from faulty hardware to software configuration problems or viruses. You can run Chkdsk /r at a command prompt to resolve the file system damage, but you may lose some data.
    Pure (Sweden) Biggest nOOb ever....Free Birth

Comment

"Unmountable Boot Volume"
      When booting up to Win XP you may get a error that reads "Unmountable Boot Volume". This is probably because your boot.ini file is messed up.
      So, what do you do about it, panic and try to mount your boot in your computer...... No that is probably not a good idea.

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the Welcome to setup press the letter R
      You will get a dos prompt
      Then type "chkdsk /p" without the quotes and hit enter
      When that is done type "fixboot" and hit enter
      "Y" and enter at the prompt
      Then type "exit" and hit enter
      The system will now reboot into Windows
      If for some reason that don't work for you, you can boot to the recovery console like above and...
      Type "chkdsk /r" then enter
      When done type "exit" and hit enter.
      This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows

i hope this can help you

Nick
      Pure (Sweden) Biggest nOOb ever....Free Birth

Comment

Sounds good.Nice work.

Comment

I got lost. LOL Nick.
          There's so damn many of them, maybe, just maybe my boys can stop them from gettin' the book. Yah, maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

Comment

wow!!!!
            Please Direct me 2 the Nearest Padded Room

Comment

Nick, your a fecking star
              Finally got my PC up and running, yippppeeeeeeeeeeeee

Next time your in Ireland, the is on me !!!!

Comment

LOL

Comment

Lol, damn that was cool nick good job

Greetz Joakim!
                  Ownage!

Comment

Working...
                  X