Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intresting for win xp (SP2)

Hello P2P Supporter,

If you installed Windows XP SP2, then Microsoft has severly limited the rate at which connections can be made on your computer. Where you used to be able to establish hundreds of connections in a short period of time, you may now only establish connection to 10 peers. Any more than 10 connections in often 10+ seconds (this depends on the latency of the connecting party) will cause new connections to become throttled and eventually denied all together.

This has serious damaging effects to eMule, the eDonkey Network, P2P as a whole. It means a slower network and eventually fewer search results. It means connections fail more frequently and losing your spot in someone's queue. It also provides a means for disruptive users or music industry thugs to sabotage P2P networks by preventing connection opportunity through SYN attacks.

This also effects your web browser and other internet applications. If you ever notice slow browsing, broken images, or ignored page requests while you have eMule running... now you know why!

And even searching for new multiplayer game servers will be severly hindered.

You can tell if this new "speed limit" is effecting you by viewing your System Event messages (Right-Click "My Computer > Manage > System Tools > Event Viewer > System"). You will see yellow-triangle Warning events with "Tcpip" as the Source. Double-Clicking on one of these events will display the following message.

" TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts. "

Micro$oft implimented this feature to slow down the effect of email worms and exploits. They figure people don't need to be making so many connections in such a short timeframe, even though P2P demands it. Yet another tactic to try and curb file trading.

There is a fix however. It requires editing your tcpip.sys file, which is located in your c:\windows\system32\drivers\ folder. There may be other tcpip.sys files on your system, but this appears to be the important one. This file is a binary file, and requires a hex editor to make changes.

Before making any changes to your system, always backup what you're about to hack.

The following instructions are for the Final Release of XP SP2 (build 2180). Other builds may or may not have the same tcpip.sys file. The file should be exactly 359,040 bytes and have a Last Modified time of 8/3/2004 11:14 PM. Its CRC-32 is 8042A9FB and MD5 is 9F4B36614A0FC234525BA224957DE55C.

This fix will remove all tcpip socket creation limitations in Microsoft Windows XP SP2.

In your hex editor...

First Goto offset 130 (hex) or 304 (decimal)...
    Replace these 4 bytes of hex data: 6E 12 06 00
    With these 4 bytes of hex data: 62 13 06 00

Then Goto offset 4F322 (hex) or 324386 (decimal)... *from beginning of file*
    Replace these 4 bytes of hex data: 0A 00 00 00
    With these 4 bytes of hex data: FE FF FF 00

If any of the data that you're replacing does not match exactly, double check what you are doing, or abort completely.

Once you are confident you applied the correct changes, save the file. You should not experience any write protect issues while saving. If you do, log on as administrator.

Reboot.

YOU ARE NOW FREE FROM MICROSOFT RULE AND OPPRESSION!
    well, just a little bit anyway. enjoy!

[source: http://www.lvllord.de/]

well i know that NO ONE of you are using p2p so skip that and look for the multiplayer bit
    maybe usefull for some of you
    Last edited by BananPure; 11-17-2004, 04:21 AM.
    Pure (Sweden) Biggest nOOb ever....Free Birth

To be honest I havent installed SP1 yet, why ruin something thats its workin

"We happy few, we band of brothers - for he today that sheds his blood with me - shall be my brother"
    - William Shakespear, King Henry V

Comment

Or go to

http://www.korben.tk/

and download SP2 TCP/IP Patcher

Job done!

There is a fine line between Insanity and Genius !
      I have erased that line.

Comment

Working...
      X