• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows media player problem

Hi Guys

I have another small problem...

Recently updated Windows media player 8 up to 9.0

It seems to suck up a lot of processing power and i wish to remove it, but there is no uninstall and system restore will not do it either...
    Anyone know how to get rid of it?

Current System specs...
    1.7 P4
    512 Ram
    XP

If there isn't a uninstall program, go to the configuration menu. Clcik on SOFTWARE, search for the program and click on the uninstall button.
    [BiA]Masterz0r

Comment

there is a way to remove it
      in the add/remove programs
      open control panel > add/remove programs > click on add/remove windows components
      a new window will pop up called windows components wizard or something of the sort
      then look in the listing and uncheck windows media player
      then click next and so on and it will uninstall media player
      you may need to reboot to finish uninstall
      then after it is uninstall reinstall wmp9 and everything should be ok

Comment

hey Doc... I had the same problem of windows media player draining resources when I upgraded it... but last month I had do format the hd and installed the version 9 directly and had no problem... my sys specs are far lower than yours!!

Duron 1.1
        128 RAM
        Win98SE
        Voodoo 3 2000 PCI

Comment

THANKS Guys

Most of these tips haven't worked out for me, i think Sgt. Horvath tip is maybe the best. A re-install is the only option for me but i have a little problem...

I moved house a while ago, and lost my XP recovery disk, Doh!!!!

But i do have a copy of windows 2000 pro, so all is not lost. but yes i know i'm goin to have to change most of my drivers

Any ideas guys, to save me some work?

Comment

you don't need to just listen to masterminds advice and the problem is solved

Comment

give me a sec ill find a way for you to uninstall it lol
              but i need to know more info about your comp
              which windows is it using?
              windows xp? home or pro?
              and if you can we could do desktop sharing and i could uninstall it for you cuz i know xp inside and out and know all the little tricks to uninstall certain things
              ask tam ive done it to her comp a bunch of times lol

Comment

In XP you goto add\remove programs and uninstall the Windows Media Player system update (9 Series). that should remove the update from your computer.

I hope that it's not the beta. See below.

HOW TO: Remove Windows Media Player 9 Beta
                The information in this article applies to:
                Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 Series for Windows XP

SYMPTOMS
                When you install Windows Media Player (WMP) 9 beta, there is no option to remove the program in the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.
                CAUSE
                This behavior is by design.
                RESOLUTION
                To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method below for your operating system.
                Method 1: Microsoft Windows XP
                Use the System Restore feature in Windows XP to return to a restore point that is before your installation of WMP 9 beta. To do so, follow these steps:
                Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
                In the System Restore Wizard, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
                In the first box, click a date on the calendar that is before the date that you installed WMP 9 beta. In the second box, select a restore point, if one is available for that date.

Note Dates that have restore points available appear in bold type.
                Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the system restore process.
                Method 2: Microsoft Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition (Me), and Windows 2000
                Restore the windows registry.

For additional information about how to restore your registry, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
                322754 HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me

322755 HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 2000

Last edited by SunnyBoy; 02-18-2003, 06:22 PM.
                I know where I am concerning where I was, things always look better depending on how far you look back.

Comment

Hi Sunnyboy

hope that it's not the beta. See below.

HOW TO: Remove Windows Media Player 9 Beta
                  The information in this article applies to:
                  Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 Series for Windows XP

SYMPTOMS
                  When you install Windows Media Player (WMP) 9 beta, there is no option to remove the program in the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.
                  CAUSE
                  This behavior is by design.
                  RESOLUTION
                  To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method below for your operating system.
                  Method 1: Microsoft Windows XP
                  Use the System Restore feature in Windows XP to return to a restore point that is before your installation of WMP 9 beta. To do so, follow these steps:
                  Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
                  In the System Restore Wizard, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
                  In the first box, click a date on the calendar that is before the date that you installed WMP 9 beta. In the second box, select a restore point, if one is available for that date.
                  erm um yes it was the beta version i installed 'no feckin need'

But i had been doing some stuff on my pc b4 and after i installed this beta programme, so at the time i didnt want to lose the info and programmes and stuff using a system restore (As i'm a lazy git, and couldn't be bothered to back stuff up), but anyway...

By the time i got round to it, (removing WMP9 beta) I didnt have a system restore point b4 it.

So i tried installing the proper version WMP9, but the beta version still seems to be the active one with no uninstall.

Doh!

And wing zero, i'm using XP home...

Comment

ahh ok heh i havent used xp home yet but it cant be too different frm xp pro since they are the same platform

Comment

By the way guys the post above was from Microsoft.
                      I know where I am concerning where I was, things always look better depending on how far you look back.

Comment

Do you still need XP Pro?

Comment

well theres one way to get rid of it but its not always the best way lol
                          ive actually deleted the folder and all the registry keys (which is a pain in the butt to do)
                          and install it over again with the right version i wanted

Comment

Working...
                          X