Netflix's Witcher TV Show Adaptation: Lots Of Details Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix's Witcher TV Show Adaptation: Lots Of Details Revealed

Big things are afoot with Netflix's The Witcher adaptation of the series of novels that also inspired the video game franchise. Though it's still very early in the process of getting the show made--showrunner Lauren S. Hissrich revealed the finished pilot script in February--lots of details about the project have arrived.
    First and foremost, Hissrich says the first season will consist of eight episodes. "I know, I know, it may not seem like enough for you, but creatively, it's the right call," she writes on Twitter. The episodes can be tight, action-packed, rich in character and story, without lagging in the middle of the season." Given how often Netflix originals feel like they last too long--we're looking at you, Marvel shows--it's hard to not be excited about this decision.
    Still, as Hissrich continues, the scripts for episodes beyond the pilot aren't done yet. "I've finished the pilot, which yes, will be polished more when we cast/shoot," she says. "The other 7 episodes don't yet exist, except in my head. And guess what? New writers are joining me soon, too!"
    As for when to expect the series, Hissrich says it likely won't premiere until 2020. Netflix is taking its time with the show to make sure it's as good as it can be. "We're moving quickly ahead with everything--like, my head is spinning around Exorcist-style, except with enthusiasm, not evil possession--but one thing is certain: quality comes before speed," she says.
    Lastly, the showrunner confirms that the series will be filmed in Eastern Europe, which is where the novels and games are set. "This show couldn't exist anyplace else. Period," Hissrich writes. "Also, I just spent ten days surrounded by Slavic eye-candy. I MUST come back, soon."
    No casting has been announced for Netflix's Witcher series yet. Chances are, though, if it's aiming for a 2020 release, that news will start happening soon.
    Happy Friday! So much information coming out of the @netflix event in Rome. I'm told by my friends and colleagues that the level of excitement and anticipation for #Witcher was crazy! Let's sort through it...
    — Lauren S. Hissrich (@LHissrich) April 20, 2018
    EIGHT EPISODES. Yes! I know, I know, it may not seem like enough for you, but creatively, it's the right call. The episodes can be tight, action-packed, rich in character and story, without lagging in the middle of the season. Sounds good to me, sound good to you?
    2020. Who knows?! We're moving quickly ahead with everything -- like, my head is spinning around Exorcist-style, except with enthusiasm, not evil possession -- but one thing is certain: quality comes before speed. You'll get it as soon as humanly possible, and it'll be good.
    THE SCRIPT NEEDS POLISHED. I'd take a step back from that to say: the scripts need WRITTEN. I've finished the pilot, which yes, will be polished more when we cast/shoot. The other 7 episodes don't yet exist, except in my head. And guess what? New writers are joining me soon, too!
    WE'LL BE SHOOTING IN EASTERN EUROPE. Yes! This show couldn't exist anyplace else. Period. Also, I just spent ten days surrounded by Slavic eye-candy. I MUST come back, soon.

More...
Working...
X