No announcement yet.

Ewan McGregor Says There Are No Plans For Obi-Wan Star Wars Movie Starring Him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ewan McGregor Says There Are No Plans For Obi-Wan Star Wars Movie Starring Him

With rumours swirling about a new Star Wars spinoff focused on Obi-Wan Kenobi, actor Ewan McGregor--who played the character in Episodes 1-3--has again spoken up to say he'd be up for it. Appearing on The View, McGregor said he "would totally do it," but as of yet, he says he knows nothing about any such project happening.
    "Yes, I would totally do it," he said (via IGN). "There's no plans as such to do it, as far as I know. I would be happy to do it. I think there must be a good story to tell, as they're doing spinoffs."
    McGregor said it would be interesting for a movie to tell Obi-Wan's story between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. Intriguingly, that's the timeline that emerged in a recent report.
    It's entirely possible that Disney is moving forward with an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie--a rumour said it will begin production in 2019--and that McGregor won't play the lead role. Disney has not made any official announcements about an Obi-Wan movie.
    The first character-specific Star Wars spinoff, Solo, told the origin story of Han Solo. That movie was a commercial disappointment, leading some to believe that Disney might be less enthusiastic about making more. However, that doesn't appear to be the case. There are rumours about standalone films for Lando Calrissian and Boba Fett as well. Logan director James Mangold may be directing the Boba Fett movie.

The next mainline Star Wars movie, Episode IX, is scheduled to hit theaters in December 2019. After that, The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson will make a new trilogy of Str Wars films, while the creators of Game of Thrones are making their own Star Wars movies as well.

More...
Working...
X