Xbox 360 at 10: Gears of War versus Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 360 at 10: Gears of War versus Tool

One of the first and most spurious misuses of my university student loan was a Halo 3 Master Chief edition Xbox 360. It was a disgusting olive green with hideous decals and a questionable shiny gold disc tray and I absolutely adored it. But, even though I played Halo 3 multiplayer and Assassin's Creed to death, my first memories of the 360 are actually somewhat hazy.
    It's around the time a friend showed me that I could rip albums to my hard drive and use them to soundtrack my playtime that my recollections really come into focus, because it put a very different spin on how I approached the games I was playing. The first album I ripped to my console was Lateralus by Tool, which remains one of my all-time favourites. I've embedded a track from it below.
    Curious to try out this newly discovered feature, I put Lateralus on while playing some Gears of War campaign co-op and was amazed by how well the two synced up. It helps that Tool produced an album that never really takes a minute to calm down; even the quiet moments are imbued with a sense of anticipation which, in turn, helped keep the tension up as I shot my way through the bro-tastic adventures of Delta Squad.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X