No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Showrunners Say No to Prequel, as Creator Teases More Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game of Thrones Showrunners Say No to Prequel, as Creator Teases More Stories

When HBO's Game of Thrones wraps up after Season 8, showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will say goodbye to the series, though they expect the franchise to live on without them.
    Benioff was asked by reporters backstage at the Emmys last night if he and Weiss would consider making a Game of Thrones prequel. Benioff said that he and Weiss don't plan on working on Game of Thrones after Season 8. As for whether or not there is a prequel series, that's more of a question for creator George R.R. Martin.
    "You might want to ask George about that," Benioff said, according to EW. "It's a great world that George created. I think it's a very rich world, and I'm sure there will be other series set in Westeros, but for us, this is it. That's really a question for George."
    Martin himself teased that more Game of Thrones stories could happen, including potentially a prequel.
    "Well, I do have thousands of pages of fake history--everything that led up to Game of Thrones--so there's a wealth of material there, and I'm still writing more."
    Don't get too excited for a Game of Thrones prequel at this stage, however. Martin pointed out that Game of Thrones still has two more seasons, while he is still finishing two more books. A Game of Thrones prequel is only speculation at this point, Martin explained.
    This is not the first time the subject of a Game of Thrones spinoff has come up. Benioff and Weiss said in July that the franchise is so rich and deep that there are countless storytelling opportunities.
    "One of the great things about what [Martin] did is he didn't just build a story; he built a world with so many characters and such a rich, detailed history behind it," the pair explained. "There are a lot of different ways you could go with it; we just really haven't had time to really think through the details of it because we're so focused on getting the show made."
    Game of Thrones had a strong showing at the Emmys last night. The show won a dozen awards, giving the series 38 in its history, making it the most-awarded primetime show in the history of the Emmys.
    Game of Thrones Season 7 will premiere later than usual; rather than April, it'll instead debut sometime during the summer of 2017. It'll be shorter than past seasons, too, running only seven episodes. The first Season 7 teaser was released during San Diego Comic-Con and can be seen here. In other news about Season 7, HBO recently confirmed that Harry Potter actor Jim Broadbent will play a "significant" role in the season.

More...
Working...
X