The Death of the Outsider is far from the end for Arkane Studios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Death of the Outsider is far from the end for Arkane Studios

The immersive sim has seen a kind of mini-renaissance in the past couple of years. Prey, Deus Ex, and of course Dishonored 2 stand out as games that recently arrived to varying, but all positive, degrees of critical acclaim. But that critical reception was conclusively unmatched by sales - so much so that it is now very easy to draw less-than-optimistic conclusions about the future of the entire genre itself, and indeed the series within.
    But we are getting more Dishonored, anyway - at least for now we are - in the form of Death of the Outsider, a significant, full-fat expandalone that I spent some time with at Gamescom.
    At this point I would normally say something about how Death of the Outsider is more of the same - it is - but I feel that might not do it justice. It's only more of the same insofar as more of the same is just what we want from it; Dishonored 2 was excellent, a sort of sickeningly beautiful construction built for the ingenious mass-murderer in all of us. Edwin, who reviewed the game, called it a "masterpiece of open-ended design." Death of the Outsider, from what I played, seems like about ten to twelve more hours of exactly that.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X