Games of 2015 no. 6: Her Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games of 2015 no. 6: Her Story

All I knew about Her Story when I started playing was that it involved a woman being interviewed on camera by the police. That's it. And I urge anyone who hasn't played the game to not only do so, but to do so similarly blind. Stitching together each thread created a sense of accomplishment that lodged the memory of this game powerfully in my mind. I made pages of notes; I thought I had to. I believed I was putting together a case, a collection of videos, to submit to court; me, some hotshot detective finding things where others had failed - as if any one would choose me for the job. But it meant I concentrated intensely, gave Her Story my whole attention, and tried my hardest to figure it all out.
    What made Her Story great wasn't the story or the acting - not for me. What really dazzled me was the game's mechanic - the game's one single mechanic. I shake my head now thinking of it; it was so simple. Search for videos clips of interviews using key words. That's it. How can something like that dazzle somebody?
    This year, we're counting down our 10 favourite games of the year in daily articles. The top 10 was decided by a vote among Eurogamer staff and contributors, and we didn't even fiddle the results! Here's the list so far:
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X