Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars Exec Talks "Risky" Rogue One and Expanding Franchise to "Represent the Worl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars Exec Talks "Risky" Rogue One and Expanding Franchise to "Represent the Worl

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy has spoken up about the "risky" nature of Star Wars: Rogue One and shared her thoughts on expanding the franchise's characters and culture in the future.
    Appearing on the Rogue One red carpet livestream event, Kennedy said Rogue One is something of a risk because it's a spinoff. It ties into the wider story, but it also stands on its own and is not expected to get a sequel. Taking risks is necessary to keep Star Wars fresh and exciting, Kennedy said.
    "I think we're taking a risk," she said. "I think the great thing is, if we're going to keep Star Wars alive, and we're going to make it interesting for the fans and for ourselves as well, we have to keep pushing ourselves. And we have to keep pushing those stories and finding new adventures and finding new technology and great new characters."
    Rogue One comes to theaters this Friday, December 16. It will be followed by the next core installment, Episode VIII in 2017, with another spinoff film, a movie about Han Solo, debuting in 2018. There are also rumors of spinoffs for Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    Also in the interview, Kennedy was asked for her thoughts on the status of strong female characters in Star Wars movies following Daisy Ridley's performance as Rey in The Force Awakens and Felicity Jones as Jyn in Rogue One.
    "I think what's nice is we're getting to a point where we're just having really great actors play these roles," she said. "I think that's what I hope for--that we don't even have to talk about this. It's great for women, but it's great for everybody."
    "What I'm excited about is that as we expand Star Wars, we expand our characters, we expand our cultures, and we represent the world. That's my long-term dream."
    Keep checking back with GameSpot for more on Rogue One in the days ahead.

More...
Working...
X