It's Not Too Soon for a Boston Marathon Bombing Movie, Mark Wahlberg Says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Not Too Soon for a Boston Marathon Bombing Movie, Mark Wahlberg Says

One of the pieces of criticism about the new movie Patriots Day, which tells the story of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, is that it's coming out too soon. Now, star Mark Wahlberg has responded to that criticism, telling The Boston Globe that he thinks the movie in fact should have come sooner.
    "It's not too soon," Wahlberg said. "It's not soon enough."

He acknowledged that some, including those personally affected by the terrorist attack, believed Hollywood acted too quickly to make a movie based on the tragedy. He and director Peter Berg anticipated these concerns, Wahlberg said.
    "The wounds are far from healed, but I realized if the wrong type of person came in and made this, it could have turned out to be extremely gratuitous," he went on to say. "I knew a lot of the responsibility was going to be on my shoulders. But I pride myself on being able to go home and show my face, so I wanted to get it right, you know?"
    Wahlberg is a producer on Patriots Day. His role in the film is that of a police officer at the finish line of the marathon on Boylston St. who later helped in the search to find the perpetrators, brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
    Another movie based on the event, starring Jake Gyllenhaal as survivor Jeff Bauman, is scheduled to come out in 2017.
    Patriots Day opens on December 21 (the same day that Assassin's Creed comes out) and also stars Kevin Bacon, John Goodman, J.K. Simmons, and Michelle Monaghan.
    For lots more, read the full Boston Globe story.
    Disclosure: Patriots Day is produced in part by CBS Films, a division of GameSpot's parent company.

More...
Working...
X