Emily is Away Too review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emily is Away Too review

Emily is Away Too is a choose-your-own-adventure masquerading as a knock-off instant messenger from the early 2000s. For a certain subset of people, it'll also likely be dizzyingly nostalgic, invoking memories of staying up late, exchanging music, and hoping no one shouts at you to free up the phone line.
    More than anything, however, Emily is Away Too is committed to its aesthetic. From the faux-installation screen to the counterfeit social media services to the way the game creates actual text files on your desktop, it all comes together to build a surprisingly vivid sense of immersion. The first time I saw a familiar name and a familiar icon in the game's buddy list, I jumped. I hadn't expected Emily is Away Too to pull from my Steam rolodex of friends but it did, and you know what? All these details do add up.
    Seriously, look at that YouToob link. You could argue that it isn't particularly interactive. You can only click on the video and a few hyperlinks. But I loved the fact that there are comments from one of the game's characters, that we have the Numa Numa guy sitting there in the box, the Evolution of Dance. Shoes. And it rather charming that the Newgrounds link actually does lead you to small, playable titles on the actual Newgrounds site.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X