Undertale review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undertale review

Undertale is a game all about endings, so it's fitting that its console release comes towards the tail-end of one particular piece of hardware's life. If this is a finale of sorts for Sony's PlayStation Vita, then it's a wonderfully apt one - there's something irresistible about the pairing of a handheld that became the home of a number of indie darlings and this, the indie phenomenon of the past few years.
    It's to my absolute shame (and to Eurogamer's, which is mostly my fault) that Undertale was never reviewed on this site first time around. Back in 2015, I never found the half dozen hours in front of a PC that's required to see Undertale through (the wonderful Richard Cobbett did cover it for us after the fact, though, in an excellent piece I implore you to read after you've played the game), and maybe the rest of us were too busy enthralled in the sprawl of The Witcher 3, that year's other RPG. A shame, as Undertale belongs on equal billing with CD Projekt's masterpiece.
    Consider this as some kind of penance, but also please accept my further apologies, because I'm not going to go into any real detail here. If, like me, the console version is your first experience with the game, you owe it to yourself to go in blind, because one of the big problems with Undertale is that it's hard to say too much about it - its pleasures lay in its surprises, its willingness to wrong-foot you and how its chorus of goofiness crescendos towards a climax that's desperately, beautifully sad. All I will say, and all you really need take away from this review, is the following: if you've any love for video games, or any interest in the stories they can tell, you should definitely play this.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X