No announcement yet.

Matthew McConaughey Is Now A College Professor, Will Teach Classes This Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew McConaughey Is Now A College Professor, Will Teach Classes This Fall

Actor Matthew McConaughey is now a professor, and he will teach classes at an American university beginning this fall. The University of Texas appointed the Oscar-winner to the role of a professor in the school's Moody College of Communication. He will teach classes in the Department of Radio-Television-Film.
    The school said in a press release that it appointed McConaughey to professor "in recognition of his outstanding work as a teach and mentor" to the school's students. The Dallas Buyers Club and True Detective actor has been a "visiting instructor" at UT since 2015. He started at the time co-teaching a film production class alongside faculty member Scott Rice. In that role, McConaughey created some of the course's curriculum.

"It's the class I wish I would have had when I was in film school. Working in the classroom with these students gives me a chance to prepare them," McConaughey said in a statement. "Making movies, turning words on paper into film, is both a science and art--no matter the time or generation. The elements of truth and genuine joy for the process are timeless. That will always be our classroom focus."
    McConaughey himself graduated from UT back in 1993, so it's a homecoming of sorts for the actor.
    Looking ahead to the Fall 2019 semester, McConaughey's class will see students studying his 2012 movie, Mud, along with the upcoming Guy Ritchie film The Gentlemen. Director Jeff Nichols, who directed McConaughey in Mud, is scheduled to appear in McConaughey's class this year.
    You can see a rundown of the highlights of McConaughey's Script-to-Screen class below.
    • Fall 2015
      • Studied “Free State of Jones”
      • Writer-director Gary Ross visited class along with producer Diana Alvarez

• Fall 2016
      • Studied “Free State of Jones”

• Spring 2017
      • Studied “White Boy Rick”
      • Director Yann Demange visited class

• Spring 2018
      • Studied “White Boy Rick” and “The Beach Bum”
      • Writer-director Harmony Korine visited class

• Fall 2018
      • Studied “White Boy Rick” and “The Beach Bum”
      • Yann Demange called into class

• Spring 2019