Linux on your RTCW box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux on your RTCW box?

Do any of you run linux on your RTCW computer? I just trashed my windows drives (purposely) and shall be running solely linux on my main machine. Im going with linux Red Hat for now, since i couldnt find an up-to-date (free) distro of SuSE. This shouldnt really matter much as far as getting RTCW to work though, as they both support RPMs. Please please please, any help would be greatly appreciated. You guys wont be seeing me on HP2 until i get this going. I have done a little searching for myself (hey im not completely helpless!) but everything ive found is very outdated. Its suggested that I use an installer thats similar to a quake installer by lokigames.. only problem is they went out of business over a year ago. Ill probably post this on a few other boards also, so dont feel bad if you dont run linux and cant help. Anyways.. thanks
    - Chris

note: yes i do know there is a version of ET for linux, but damnit i want my RTCW!@#%$ gimme the tank!

my avatar must go here since it says that it isnt an image when i attempt to use it as an avatar.

ok um.. my bad. linuxgaming.net has an article on how to install. v583
    well still, any tips would be appreciated.

as of right now the linux isnt even installed. my computer is just sitting there at a black screen. ill start the install when i go on my lunch break so hopefully ill be up and running tonight. we'll see...

my avatar must go here since it says that it isnt an image when i attempt to use it as an avatar.

Comment

i run rtcw on linux...crapshoot9@hotmail.com if you have any questions

Comment

I use a Linux -only box, so feel free to ask your questions...

Regards, Innocent Child

Comment

well thanks to roberto, i think ill know what im doing when i go to install RTCW. my problem right now is with the Red Hat install. youre probably wondering how in the world i could have a problem with it since its so straight forward and user friendly... well aparently the drivers included with RH9 for highpoint RAID arent worth a crap. my bootloader crashes half way through loading. so right now im downloading updated drivers.. we'll see what happens

Comment

Knives,
            Just started to load Linux today, thanks for getting my bottom in gear. What I want to know is where my tech support is, CrapShoot I couldn't get you on Messenger. lol so now I have a Lionux box that i dont know what to do with. Did someone see a manual? lol
            I know where I am concerning where I was, things always look better depending on how far you look back.

Comment

lol oops. Sorry Chuck. I waited on MSN for 6 days

Comment

Knives,

Thats a known issue that isn't Redhat specific..here is a long thread for your reading pleasure (lol):

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...threadid=53681

BTW why are you running RAID?

Comment

why run RAID? everyone seems to be asking me this lately. im not running RAID mirror so i dont see why its so odd for me to be running RAID as a home user. Im running two Maxtor ATA133 60gbs in stripe purely for performance. You may argue that the performance increase is small and insignificant, but oh well. At the time of building the box, i wanted the best i could get for the budget i had. The best was dual ATA133s in RAID. Ive got the Abit KR7A mobo (the day it came out) and at the time Maxtor was the only ones with ATA133 which bothered me because the drives look just like quantums and we all know how crappy quantums can be. i cant even count the number of quantums that have died on me. Since then i have expanded the 120gb to 200gb by putting a WD 80gb with 8mb cache on my IDE. So im running RAID just because i could. Ive never really done any benchmarks to see how well the RAID is working for me. I am just going under the assumption that i am getting a nice speed increase. and reliability? bleh.. screw reliability.. though i am kind of upset that i may have lost 80gb worth of music and movies.. so maybe backups wouldnt be too bad of an idea.. lol

anyways...

Comment

raid is kinda useless for home users but that's my point of view... i even considered using it for my webservers... but no also useless
                    ClanofIdiots.com Administrator
                    PcGamingNetworks.com Co-owner
                    webmaster@clanofidiots.com

Comment

oh and crapshoot, thanks for the link
                      forgot to mention that in my above post

though ive just read through that thread and im not so sure it applies to me... yet. it looks as if these people are getting actual error codes and some are able to actually get to the shell to recompile the kernel and such.
                      i dont even get this far
                      with grub as my bootloader, it just says GRUB and sits there
                      with lilo, it just says LI and sits there

i still havent got a chance to try to install the updated highpoint drivers for RH9 yet cause i spent all day with my g/f yesterday so im hoping to get it done either at lunch today or after work.

as for the possible loss of my mp3s and such,
                      stupid red hat, i told it not to do a damn thing to my 80gb and just work with the RAID setup, completed the red hat install, and turns out it installed the bootloader to the 80gb!! hopefully it didnt fully partition/format it and my stuff will still be there.. ive since pulled the 80 to prevent anything else from happening heh.. oh and when it installed the bootloader to the 80gb it still wouldnt load, but i think its still because of the RAID.

Comment

Your data should still be on your 80 GB drive.

LILO may be hanging for 1 of two reasons.

I expect that its hanging because it's trying to access hdb (just the first 60gb drive) and all the data is striped across 2 drives (hdb and hdc).

The other issue may be because the kernel image is so far out (past the cylinder limit). Does your boot disk work? If it does, then I don't think the RAID driver is an issue.

If it's the second issue, and the boot disk works, I can help to get it working. maybe you can email me the /etc/lilo.conf file

And about that link, If it's a driver issue, I think it's relevant because one of those guys is actually the author of a driver for the RAID card...
                        Last edited by <TK1>CrapShooT; 06-24-2003, 05:23 PM.

Comment

crapshoot.. ive emailed you with more info

Comment

oh yeah! got it working
                            v57!!

now to tackle the RTCW install
                            should be so hard

the only real reason the linux install was hard was because of my own ignorance.

Comment

V57!! another linux convert

who's next?

Comment

Working...
                              X